- This event has passed.
Challenges Women in Business Face
December 10, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Join us on Thursday, December 10th from 12 PM – 1:30 PM for a virtual round table covering the business world from a women’s point of view, hosted by DCED’s Business One Stop Shop Office and Pennsylvania’s Commission for Women.
The event will be moderated by Tiffany Tavarez, the Vice President of Community Relations at Wells Fargo Bank. Speakers will include:
- Senator Camera Bartolotta of the Pennsylvania Senate, 46th District, and founder of Duke of Oil, a quick lube business in the Mon Valley.
- Itha Cao, Senior Civic Innovation Specialist at the City of Pittsburgh and Chef and sole owner of The Hungry Cao, which offers Chinese cooking classes and private events with the dual mission of elevating the standing of ethnic Chinese cuisine in Pittsburgh and fundraising for a local social justice cause/organization.
- Nabila Taha, currently retired, but previously founded Taha Actuaries & Consultants, the first actuarial firm headed by a woman in the Middle East and one of few in the world.
- Grace McGregor, VP of Strategy and Operations for McGregor Industries, her family’s business, which has been doing business for over 100 years!
Topics will be discussed amongst a group of diverse women who have found success both starting a business and navigating the business world. Women who have overcome the unique challenges presented by being a woman in a male dominated field. Hear about how they overcame any roadblocks and obstacles in their careers.
Topics of Discussion:
- How to get started: Learn the different options there are to get started in the business world, whether it’s through starting your own business or working in corporate America.
- Roadblocks and Obstacles: Hear about the roadblocks and obstacles that each woman has faced. From planning and starting their business to keeping it afloat during the COVID-19 pandemic. From getting started in a male-dominated field to ascending the corporate ladder.
- How to be successful: Learn how each woman on the panel has had a successful career either running a business or navigating the business landscape, typically a male-dominated field. Their experiences provide a unique perspective for women interested in starting a business or pursuing a career in corporate America.
- Impact of COVID-19: Hear about the challenges that the women have had to overcome as it relates to managing a business in the era of COVID-19.
- Open Discussion: The forum will be opened to the audience so please bring any questions that you have, regardless of the topic.